Any member of the public, including the media and elected officials, may obtain copies of unrestricted records of this district by submitting a written and signed request for each record sought and paying any associated fees (Government Code § 6253).
- Requests for Patient Care Records shall be forwarded to Novato Fire District:
PO Box 1370
Suisun City, CA 94585
*please include $15 check made out to Southern Marin Emergency Medical Paramedic System
- Requests for Incident Reports or Fire Reports shall be forwarded to the SMFD Fire District.
Southern Marin Fire District, Attn: Custodian of Records
308 Reed Blvd
Mill Valley, CA 94941
FAX: (415) 388-8181
- All other requests for records shall be forwarded to the Southern Marin Fire District Custodian of Records for review and disposition. Information in the request should include:
- A statement that information is being requested under the California Public Records Act.
- A clear and specific description of the record being requested, including if possible, dates, subjects, titles or authors of the documents requested.
- If requesting a waiver of fees, a description of why the requestor believes a waiver is in the public interest.
- Requestor contact information, including name, address, phone, fax and e-mail.
- Any accommodation needed under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
(d) The processing of requests is subject to the following limitations:
- Release of Records
- All requests should be date stamped upon receipt and logged on the Public Records Act request log.
- The Custodian of Records or the authorized designee shall determine if the requested record is available and, if so, whether the record is exempt from disclosure.
(a) Either the requested record or the reason for nondisclosure will be provided promptly but no later than 10 days from the date of request, unless unusual circumstances preclude doing so.
(b) If more time is needed, an extension of up to 14 additional days may be authorized by the Fire Chief or the authorized designee.
(c) If an extension is authorized, the Custodian of Records shall provide written notice of the extension to the requesting party (Government Code 6253(c)).
- The District is not required to create records that do not otherwise exist in order to accommodate a request for information or records.
- If the Custodian of Records or the authorized designee determines the requested records should be disclosed, the records will be made available as soon as reasonably practicable.
- If the record requested is available on the district website, the requester may be directed to the location on the website where the record is posted. If the requester is unable to access or reproduce the record, a copy of the record shall be provided promptly (Government Code § 6253).