Fire Safe Resolutions
The New Year is upon us, which means time to make your New Year’s resolutions. Why not make improved fire safety one of your resolutions? After all, this is the sort of resolution that will benefit you and your family. Here are a few Fire Safety Resolutions you can make with your friends and family this year.
Fire Safety Resolution Number 1: Have a game plan.
Your plan of action needs to include a fire escape plan. Make sure everyone in your household knows where the proper exits are in case of fire. There should also be a designated place to meet outside the home, in a safe area.
Fire Safety Resolution Number 2: Make sure all fire extinguishers, smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working.
Smoke detectors should be throughout the house. There should be at least one working smoke detector and carbon detector on every floor of the home.
Fire Safety Resolution Number 3: Have a fire extinguisher on hand.
At minimum, mount a fire extinguisher in your kitchen and garage. If you have a workshop in an area like the basement, mount a fire extinguisher there as well. The National Fire Protection Association actually recommends mounting a fire extinguisher on every floor of your home. Any rechargeable fire extinguisher should be serviced every six years. Fire extinguishers with dry chemicals should be shaken periodically to keep chemicals from compacting.
Fire Safety Resolution Number 4: Keep battery-powered flashlights in designated areas.
Everyone in the home should know where those flashlights are located.
Fire Safety Resolution Number 5: Stay alert with cooking.
Cooking remains the leading cause of fires in homes. Make sure to clean your stove top, oven and the inside of your microwave. Never leave the kitchen when cooking.
Fire Safety Resolution Number 6: Get your chimney inspected annually.
Have a qualified professional check your chimney annually to make sure it’s structurally sound and in good working order. In addition to cleaning, a professional chimney sweep should be able to check your chimney for cracks or loose bricks. Don't have a wood-burning chimney? Gas fireplaces can cause problems too. Your furnace or water heater could be vented into your chimney, and if the chimney is blocked for any reason, carbon monoxide could be coming into your home. That’s why it’s important to have both carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in your home
Stay Up to Date:
Sign up for eNewsletter: Stay connected with Southern Marin Fire with weekly and monthly updates.
Sign up for Nixle alerts from the Marin County Sheriff's Office to receive notifications regarding flooding, PSPS alerts, fire risk and more!